13 Best Destinations For Sexual Tourism
First of all, I should probably fill you in on what sexual tourism is, are you traveling to watch sex? Do you travel for sex? Is this prostitution? What is even happening? The World Tourism Organization defines “Sexual Tourism,” as:
“trips organized from within the tourism sector, or from outside this sector but using its structures and networks, with the primary purpose of effecting a commercial sexual relationship by the tourist with residents at the destination.”
The long and short of it is when people travel to engage in sexual activity, whatever that may mean to you, the traveler. Did you know that sexual tourism is a multi-billion dollar industry and surprisingly, there are benefits other than orgasm. Getting off abroad boosts the economy? Sexual tourism is not just money for sex. Sexual tourism benefits the airlines, taxis, restaurant, and hotels because you need all of these other tourist spots when you travel for sex just like you would if you travel for any other reason.
Now that we have established that the main reason for sexual tourism is to seek prostitution and for the person [prostitute] performing the sex to make a living. Most of the women that are prostitutes do so because they live in severe poverty and this is the only way to make a decent living. Who is to say that prostitution truly is the only option for these women but for the most part it is because it is high paying and they can support their families by blowing horny businessmen. Ok, ok, that harsh but they are doing what they need to put food on the table and that is commendable. Mostly, sexual tourism is legal aboard, it is domestically that it is not in the United States with the exception to Nevada.
“I don’t understand why prostitution is illegal. Selling is legal. F***ing is legal. Why isn’t selling f***ing legal? You know, why should it be illegal to sell something that’s perfectly legal to give away?”
(c) George Carlin
In 2003, New Zealand added legal and regulated prostitution these other countries have legal and regulated prostitution as well:
Australia, Austria, Bangladesh, Belgium, Brazil, Canada, Colombia, Denmark, Ecuador, France, Germany, Greece, Indonesia, the Netherlands and as far as India goes it is illegal but there are brothels present.
Of all the places that elicit sexual tourism these are the TOP 13 places that are most popular:
- Dominican Republic has made a major name for itself in sexual tourism. It is a “must-do” if you made a list of places to get prostitutes. Although prostitution is legal, no brothels or third parties can make money off of said prostitutes, they are only able to earn it for themselves…freelance if you will. “At sex tourism sites the lighter Dominicans are favored over darker Haitians, who are forced to work in the streets or local bars rather than the more lucrative up-scale areas.”
- Thailand has a city called Pattaya and that is the sex capital of the world. It is essentially a sex worker’s paradise. There is someone that will sell you sex on every square foot of this city.
- Costa Rica is rising to the top as far as destinations for sex. 10% of all tourists that go to Costa Rica are there for the sex. But what makes Costa Rica so special? Is it the prices? The talent? Well, it is thanks to the United States actually, because prostitution is illegal in the U.S. 80% of the sex workers in Costa Rica are immigrants from the U.S.
- Kenya has legal prostitution but the difference is that women are coming to Kenya to get it from the locals versus men coming to a destination for women. What an interesting turn? There is even a name for it, Mzungu, is what women who come to have sex with locals is called in Kenya.
- Japan is one of the top REGULAR tourist stops for people around the world. So you can only imagine what the sex tourism is like. However, in Japan foreign men are not welcome most of the time because of a few factors that lead the women to find them undesirable to work with. Foreign men tend to be more rough, have a different odor, and there is also a language barrier that frightens the women.
- Amsterdam has the notorious “Red Light District.” Amsterdam is probably the most common place that people have in mind when they think of legal prostitution. There are not only many legal and safe choices but there is also a sexmuseum to check out after the party’s over. So maybe you will even learn something after all!
- Cambodia, Phnom Penh is where all the action is here. Many of the reasons that the women are sex workers here are due to poverty. Many refugees end up in the red light district. They leave their country to have a better life but in the end the have escaped to a new version of what they had before.
- The Philippines. Here it is ILLEGAL, however it still happens behind the scenes, in massage parlors, brothels, and so forth. Where there is a demand there will be a supply. People will find a way to sell sex no matter the cost because they know that it sells. This is the unfortunate fate of sex tourism. The main pull to get people to come to The Philippines is the propaganda of sex tourism and how there is such a world of sex workers and pleasure. Yes, this may draw the people in but sometimes things may not go as planned.
- Indonesia Although prostitution is illegal in Indonesia there is always a way around the system. Sadly, due to the uptick in demand for sex child sex trafficking is rampant. You need to be careful where you decide to tour because you could end up in a not so great situation. “Indonesia is also known for its online sex forums and prostitution rings that exist only through social media.” You can do everything on the internet, even schedule sex.
- Spain not only has fine wine and bull fighting it has legal prostitution. The red light district in Spain is a very loud and festive part of town where you can find many men and women to do sexy things for a price of course. If you are planning a self indulgent vacation, this maybe the spot for you.
- Brazil you go for the soccer but stay for the sex. In Brazil it is legal to sell sex aka prostitution. Brazil is already known for loud parties and beautiful women so it makes sense that the voluptuous women of Brazil would have a nice red light district. “numerous travelers head to the red-light districts in cities like Rio de Janeiro and Fortaleza”
- Jamaica, similar to Kenya women seem to be flocking to Jamaica for the well-endowed men. Rumors are not always true but when it comes to male prostitutes the rumor is true. There is a reason why women go to get laid in Kenya and Jamaica and it isn’t for the scenery…
- Haiti has many brothels. Although a very poor country overall, the sex workers have a decent wage because of the demand in sex work. Poverty draws the women to prostitution because they can make a nice livable wage by doing something they already would be doing just with more men.
All of these countries have their own unique spin on the topic but most importantly they all have sex for sale.